Past Simple – Exercise 2
Complete these sentences. Use the verbs below.
clean – die – enjoy – end – happen – live – open – play – rain – repair – start – stay – want – watch
1. Yesterday evening I TV.
Put the sentences from the present into the past tense.
1. He always goes to work by car. Yesterday he to work by bus.
2. They always get up early. This morning they up late.
3. Bill often loses his key. He one last Saturday.
4. I write a letter to Jane every week. Last week I two letters.
5. She meets her friends every evening. She them yesterday evening, too.
6. I usually read two newspapers every day. I only a newspaper yesterday.
7. They come to my house every Friday. Last Friday they , too.
8. We usually go to the cinema on Sunday. We to the cinema last Sunday, too.
9. Tom always has a shower in the morning. Tom a shower this morning, too.
10. They buy a new car every year. Last year they a new car, too.
11. I eat an orange every day. Yesterday I two oranges.
12. We usually do our shopping on Monday. We our shopping last Monday, too.
13. Ann often takes photos. Last weekend she some photos.
14. We leave at 8.30 every morning. But yesterday we at 8.00.
Tell the story – fill in the past simple tense
On Friday, the children (talk) about a day out together in the country. The next morning, they (go) to the country with their two dogs and (play) together. Ben and Dave (have) some kites. Some time later the dogs (be) not there. So they (call) them and (look) for them in the forest. After half an hour the children (find) them and (take) them back. Charlie (be) very happy to see them again. At lunch time Nick (go) to the bikes and (fetch) the basket with some meat sandwiches. Then they (play) football. Nick and Dave (win). In the evening they (ride) home.
Put the sentences into past tense.
1. She wins the money. She the money.
2. They can eat. They eat.
3. She must go. She go.
4. We go shopping. We shopping.
5. She runs to school. She to school.
6. I can walk. I walk.
7. We buy a new car. We a new car.
8. They leave the party. They the party.
9. We collect coins. We coins.
10. You are allowed to eat. You allowed to eat.
11. Peter eats a hamburger. Peter a hamburger.
12. She has to wash it. She to wash it.
13. They want to go home. They to go home.
14. I close the windows. I the windows.
15. She studies for a test. She for a test.
16. They can drive. They drive.
17. Sam likes to laugh. Sam to laugh.
18. Mary goes home. Mary home.
19. We write a letter. We a letter.
20. She opens the window. She the window.
Fill in the correct simple past forms.
The students of class 8B (do) a project last week. First the pupils (choose) what they wanted to do. Then they (get) information from books and brochures, and they (talk) to a lot of people. They (find) some interesting photos in the library. Their teacher (help) them when they (ask) her. Then they (make) a poster and a video and (tell) the other groups about their project.
A project about Cornwall – Fill in the correct simple past forms.