Question tags are used in spoken English, but not in written English. They are put at the end of the sentence.
To make a question tag, use the first auxiliary (forms of to be, have) or modal verb (must, can, will). If there isn’t an auxiliary or modal verb, use do, does or did.
Question Tags : Հարցական նախադասության մի տեսակ է, որը դրվում է նախադասության վերջում և գլխավոր նախադասությունից առանձնացվում է ստորակետով: Այս դեպքում գլխավոր նախադասության օժանդակ բայը(մոդալ բայը) եթե դրական է, երկրորդական մասում(Question tag-ում) դրվում է ժխտական ձևով, և նախադասությունը դառնում է հարցական:
Positive or negative question tags
If the sentence is positive, the question tag must be negative.
He is good at dancing, isn’t he?
They left yesterday afternoon, didn’t they?
She was surprised, wasn’t she?
If the sentence is negative, the question tag must be positive.
He isn’t good at dancing, is he?
They didn’t leave yesterday, did they?
She wasn’t surprised, was she?
Question tags with auxiliary verbs
They haven’t met him before, have they?
He is in the park, isn’t he?
They are studying at the moment, aren’t they?
She has a brother, hasn’t she?
They were in Paris last week, weren’t they?
Question tags with modal verbs
She can help him, can’t she?
He will tell me, won’t he?
They should learn for the test, shouldn’t they?
It can’t be true, can it?
Question tags without auxiliary or modal verb
She left last Friday, didn’t she?
He works in your company, doesn’t he?
You don’t know him, do you?
with “I am” you have to use “aren’t I”
I am the best, aren’t I?
There is a new restaurant next to your company, isn’t there?
Let’s go to the shopping mall, shall we?
Use the same auxiliary, modal verb or do, does or did to reply:
Your holidays were really relaxing, weren’t they? Yes, they were. We really enjoyed them.
She visited her aunt last week, didn’t she? – Yes, she did. She went to her last Saturday.
You couldn’t help him in the garden, could you? No, I couldn’t. I had to work in the office.
Question Tags – Exercise 3
Example: He is happy, isn’t he?
1. They are in Canada, ?
2. She has a new iphone, ?
3. The girls are in the garden, ?
4. He isn’t at home, ?
5. Sandra is nice, ?
6. You haven’t seen her lately, ?
7. They are playing chess, ?
8. She hasn’t long, black hair, ?
9. I’m late, ?
10. He is repairing his bike, ?
11. She has found her key, ?
12. You are going to buy a new fridge, ?
13. It is really hot outside, ?
14. You’re his friend, ?
15. The boys have a cute dog, ?
Question Tags – Exercise 4
Example: He speaks Spanish, doesn’t he?
1. The girls went shopping, ?
2. It isn’t a good restaurant, ?
3. You don’t want to walk home, ?
4. They didn’t like the movie, ?
5. He bought a new laptop, ?
6. You have two brothers and a sister, ?
7. Let’s go to the cinema, ?
8. I’m too impolite, ?
9. They are very smart, ?
10. You tried on this jacket, ?
11. Bill is often reading, ?
12. This blouse looks very nice, ?
13. You should help her, ?
14. They enjoyed their trip, ?
15. It’s raining right now, ?
Question Tags – Exercise 5
Example: They had tea for breakfast, hadn’t they?
1. He lives in a small town, ?
2. You had the flu last week, ?
3. They moved to Berlin, ?
4. Susan will help you, ?
5. He has a little dog, ?
6. They came home late, ?
7. You don’t speak Spanish, ?
8. She was there, ?
9. He cooks well, ?
10. They aren’t at home, ?
11. You like beef, ?
12. I will see you again, ?
13. They weren’t angry, ?
14. You didn’t visit him, ?
15. He wants to go on holidays, ?
Question Tags – Exercise 6
Example: We won’t arrive late, will we?
1. Your parents will be here soon, ?
2. That isn’t your brother over there, ?
3. You haven’t got a laptop, ?
4. He couldn’t find a job, ?
5. This is very pleasant, ?
6. The hotel was excellent, ?
7. They live in India, ?
8. We should leave, ?
9. There is a car park, ?
10. They couldn’t come to the meeting, ?
11. She didn’t buy a new car, ?
12. You aren’t a new student, ?
13. Nice isn’t in Italy, ?
14. Carol wasn’t at school last Monday, ?
15. You can do it better, ?
Is used in a situation that has never existed or never will exist(Իրավիճակ, որը երբեք չի եղել կամ երբեք չի կարող լինել):
I wish I were a camel. I would never be thirsty.